Our monthly meetings, which have been held regularly since 1993 at Zilker Garden Center, feature an educational program. All are open to the public and most are free. The Garden Center is located in Zilker Botanical Gardens, 2220 Barton Springs Rd., Austin, TX 78746.
- Jan. 28, 2019, 7 PM meeting: Life Under the Bark: The Secret Lives of Bark Beetles, presented by Dr. Thomas H. Atkinson.
- A review of the natural history, ecology, and diversity of a large group of tiny beetles, some of which behave badly and cause economic damage.
Tom Atkinson grew up on the edge of the swamps in southern Florida. Since leaving home he has moved on to higher education and to higher ground where he has remained ever since. The relentless fauna of subtropical Florida probably explains his early interest in insects and their control. As a result of 4-H he realized that one could actually get paid to study bugs and has never looked back. He was educated at the University of Florida, receiving a B.S. (1972), M.S. (1976), and Ph.D. (1979) in the mysteries of entomology.
His career path could best be described as “taking the scenic route”. He has worked for:
- Chiquita Banana in Panama,
- the National School of Agriculture in Mexico,
- a biological reserve on the Pacific coast of Mexico,
- the University of Florida,
- the University of California, Riverside.
- Dow AgroSciences Research & Development doing field research in the continuing struggle to outwit termites, cockroaches, ants, and similar vermin.
- The insect collection of the University of Texas at Austin.
He has published 98 scientific and technical articles and book chapters on obscure aspects of the lives of cockroaches, and termites, and bark beetles. His current research focuses on the systematics and biogeography of Neotropical bark and ambrosia beetles. One of his ongoing projects is www.barkbeetles.info which is an authoritative and exhaustive atlas, catalog, and image library of North and Central American bark and ambrosia beetles.
- Feb. 25, 2019, 7 PM meeting: TBA
- Mar. 25, 2019, 7 PM meeting: TBA
- Apr. 22, 2019, 7 PM meeting: TBA
- May 27, 2019, 7 PM meeting: TBA
- June 24, 2019, 7 PM meeting: TBA
- July 22, 2019, 7 PM meeting: TBA
- Aug. 26, 2019, 7 PM meeting: TBA
- Sept. 23, 2019, 7 PM meeting: TBA
- Oct. 28, 2019, 7 PM meeting: TBA
- Nov. 25, 2019, 7 PM meeting: Member's Show & Tell.
- This is a fun meeting that we have every year. Any member can show their favorite photos of the year or to tell about their a trip or butterfly experience. You have 5-10 minutes. There will be a projector and laptop so just bring your flash drive. Plus, the club provides pizza for this year end meeting! If you plan to participate contact .